Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Presepe Come to Life

My fascination with the presepi continues. I've made no secret of how much I love these little dioramas of life. They appeal to the miniature lover in me. I like to stand in front of one and take in all the tiny details that are so lovingly crafted and placed. When I heard about a Live Presepe taking place in the the medieval village of Vaccheria, the event went to the top of my "must see" list for local, Christmas activities. Open only a few days during the Christmas season, the town creates a historic presepe over a mile long walk, which is filled with wood huts and people doing their chores like making shoes, cooking polenta over the fire, weaving cloth, baking bread, and so on. Since it is a presepe, there is a nativity scene as well, complete with the shepherd and sheep next door and pipers playing some tunes once a crowd has gathered. I could not believe just how much detail went into the production, and I gained a new appreciation for just how realistic the "normal" presepi are. I thought it would be fun to show you a little photo comparison:
Live Presepe

Live Presepe




Live Presepe







No comments:

Post a Comment